July 17, 2018

Today I finally pieced together and edited the pieces of video I filmed while I worked on my Heart Armor for the SNAG conference. There are pieces missing because I didn't realize the battery had died on the camera while filming. However, I think you'll get the gist of how this went and can see the detail and time I put into working on the chased & repoussed heart.

 Work in progress - Yep, it looks good!

Work in progress - Yep, it looks good!

This was a project that started as an idea about two years ago. The first one I made was much smaller and had a lot less detail to it compared to the submission to SNAG. I revisited this idea and am really happy with the final result. Of course, I'm already thinking of ways to re-make this piece with more finesse for future exhibitions. The progression of a piece doesn't have to stop with the final making. It can spark new ideas and give you inspiration for a whole lot of other projects. This is one of those pieces.

Below is the video, I hope you enjoy it!

March 10, 2018

This week I worked on sinking another bowl, but this time I used Charles Lewton-Brain's line fold to create interest in the final piece. I created the line folds first, then cut out the disc and worked the final bowl. This time I started with a 5" diameter disc for the bowl and I really like how this turned out. I tried to get fancy and put some gold leaf on the inside reminiscent of David Huang's bowls, but it wasn't as successful as I would have liked. However, with more practice, I know I can get better at applying that finicky gold leaf.

In any case, I truly loved working on this small bowl! Take a look at the video to see the process.

March 8, 2018

Sinking a Copper Bowl

This week's work was focused on sinking. That is, sinking metal using hammers, a leather sandbag and various metal stakes to make a bowl or a vessel.

I really enjoyed this process, especially the chasing. It has a relaxing meditative quality to it that I didn't really expect, but appeals to that analytical side of my brain.

This bowl started from a piece of 20g copper sheet cut into a 4" diameter circle. I hammered the disc into the leather sandbag to get the rounding started. After several rounds of hammering and annealing, I went to my Dixon tapered stake and a Fretz mushroom stake to get the final bowl.

I think this is a great project to rev up the engine to get ready for my final project for the forging class. If you want to give it a try, check out the video and see that it's not really difficult, it just takes a little patience and some ear protection and you're set! Give it a try.

 UPDATE: I added a salt, white vinegar and ammonia fumed patina to the bowl!

UPDATE: I added a salt, white vinegar and ammonia fumed patina to the bowl!

April 1, 2018

This was a project for my forging midterm this Spring. I started out with 16g sterling silver sheet and forged it to make the flared bangle base. The hammer really made some lovely textures and I'm so happy with the final result. The images above show you a little bit of the process that happened over a period of about six (6) days. It was well worth the extra patience and restraint I had to convince myself to keep.

The video above is a brief look at how I applied the 22K gold sheet to the interior of the anticlastic portion of the bangle. This application took roughly 36 minutes to complete using a combination of a hot plate and a heat gun.

Overall, I'd call this a success since it looks like the drawing.

Sketch of the initial design.

February 26, 2018

This is a quick video for a practice project in forging. This shows the progress of making a tapered rod using hammers and specific blows to create a long double-ended taper. Overall, this took about an hour to complete, so I sped it up for you all.

 Completed tapered rod.

Completed tapered rod.

 Detail of tapered rod.

Detail of tapered rod.

February 23, 2018

Another installment of the small sculpture project I'm working on for my MFA. These are all very small because they are the samples and tests I'm making before I take on the larger project.


February 17, 2018

The short video below journals the a small part of the process I use when making maquettes in copper before turning the pieces into silver. This is the 4" x 4" piece I have chosen from my photographs of 10 different models. I chose this one and started mocking up the piece.

The slideshow above shows the samples I made using the same process, but on a small 2" x 2" sheet of 22g copper.

February 16, 2018

A short video on forming, sanding and polishing a piece of copper.