As some of you may know, my first semester final project was titled "The Hunt" and was inspired by my Grandma Myrtle's bow-hunting days. I made three cast sterling silver rings with porcupine quills, pheasant feathers and deer teeth. I was very happy and proud of these pieces and, of course, I got an "A" on the project.
This semester, I'm carrying on the theme with a two-brooch series incorporating porcupine quills, deer teeth and sliced deer antler. I am about 95% done with them as of today so I thought I'd share some in progress photos with you all.
The photos above were taken as part of the 5 week assignment to shoot "in progress" photos to show our progression to the final piece due at the end of this week. As each week went on, I realized I enjoy these pieces more and more. While constructing the hollow forms I keep thinking about how to carry this out to earrings, bracelets and necklaces. It really is a series close to my heart, so I love to think of all the different ways I can make these into wearable art.
The first brooch incorporates the slice of deer antler and the deer tooth from the hunting spoils. I wanted to make them a little different than the rings, but still keep the idea of the "blood" stone and the parts of the animal in tribute for their sacrifice.
All of the parts have been fabricated and as of today are tumbling in stainless steel shot to work harden the pieces and remove any excess burs. I will tumble them for 24 hours just to be sure all of my hard work is sturdy and polished. Once out of the tumbler, I will gold leaf a few parts, set the "blood" stones, attach the porcupine quills and finally set the gel transfer image into its setting.
I am so excited to show you all how the final pieces turn out, but you'll have to stay tuned until tomorrow to find out!