One of the things I find the most intriguing about metalwork is the fact you can take an item you made years ago and remodel it into something beautiful. This is the case with this little seahorse charm.
Originally, I used melted wax and poured it into one of those silicone push molds made for polymer clay just to "see" how the wax model would turn out. Of course, these molds are made for polymer clay so the depth is really deep when you think about how much molten metal would be needed to cast it in silver or gold. After the wax hardened, I saw the thickness and thought, "Oh, that's not going to work!" So I set it aside in my "junk" wax box and went on to other things.
About 3 months ago, I "found" this little wax sprite and decided, "I can fix this so it will work for a metal casting." I set to work with my flex shaft and wax burs and began trimming away the excess fat of the model. I worked on it for several hours until I got the size and shape just right.
I then set to casting this little animal. I invested the wax model, waited for the 5 hour burnout to complete and then began to melt my molten metal and poured it into the investment. Next thing I know, I have this wonderful, texturally complex little seahorse charm. It went from too big to cast to just right for casting in a period of a few hours.
It's amazing to me how setting a "failure" aside for a little bit and coming back to it with an open mind can really change how you perceive the experience. Now, this little guy has a permanent home on a lovely handmade oval chain bracelet.
I wore it around for several months with the high shine and just a few days ago I decided he might need a little extra character. I dunked him in heated liver of sulphur to give him an antiqued look and Viola! A perfectly detailed little man! I just love how the antiquing really adds a quality of depth to the already detailed casting.